If you haven’t had a tofu burger sandwich, don’t knock it until you have tried it. In fact, my father-in-law, who is a total foodie, made the following remark after he followed the recipe below. “Actually, this is quite delicious!”
There are countless variations, so feel free to experiment. This is the worlds simplest dinners. And in my family, it is a real treat. All of the ingredients were purchased at Trader Joe’s. But you can get everything from your local natural foods store. This is in the series of incredibly simple, nutritious, and yummy dishes. Even if you can’t cook, you can make this super easy meal. This is for two servings. Multiply accordingly if you are feeding a crowd.
- Two tofu burgers. (Trader Joe’s private labels Wildwood Tofu Burgers. They only have one flavor. If you want more flavors of pre-made tofu burgers, go to Whole Foods. The regular ones at TJ’s are perfectly delicious and cost less than the other varieties by the same manufacturer at WF’s.)
- Four slices of sprouted seed bread, or gluten-free brown rice bread. (Ezekiel brand multi-grain English muffins work great too.)
- Organic raw spinach, or the bright leafy greens of your choice.
- Thin slices of organic red pepper and tomatoes.
- Individually sliced pepper-jack yogurt cheese
- Some low-fat all natural mayonnaise and Dijon style mustard (try wasabi mayo for a kick!)
Toast the bread or muffins. You can even use multi-grain pita. Toast the burgers. Melt the cheese. Assemble all of the ingredients as if you were making, well… a burger!
Tonight we had this with some steamed organic broccoli and a few strips of organic orange bell peppers. They were both delicious and required nothing to enhance their flavor.
Who said that “eating healthy” had to be difficult! A sant?!
With love and encouragement,
Board Certified Integrative Nutrition Health Coach
Click for a free Ebook, It Pays to Be Healthy
Join our community on Facebook!